Holy smokes guys.
In a couple of months my blog turns four.
Even though I’ve been blogging for a bit, I never knew what to tell people when they asked what my blog was about. I didn’t have a niche. Nothing that really tied everything all together.
The idea came to me one night just as I laid my head on my pillow. It’s not super profound but definitely a game changer for me. Something that I absolutely believe in.
So, what’s my blog about?
Finding the awesome in the everyday*.
And what is that exactly?
It’s laughing with your family at the dinner table.
It’s growing an herb garden on your balcony.
It’s watching Netflix while unapologetically eating ice cream-donut-nacho fries.
It’s dancing around your kitchen while making cookies with your kids.
It’s coupon clipping to save up for that amazing trip.
It’s texting silly things to your sisters.
It’s actually cooking something you added to your Pinterest food board.
It’s having a quiet moment all to yourself.
No matter how ordinary you think your life is, there is always something awesome to be found.
You just have to look.
Photo by Arbine Villanueva-Hoapili
Bonjour mes amis!
Instead of making resolutions, I’d like to live 2015 by two words. Two words that will help guide me through all that life throws my way, whether good or bad. Those words are create and joy.
I want to create new recipes and blog columns.
I want to create using my own two hands.
I want to create a sense of wonderment.
I want to feel joy.
I want to celebrate the joy others radiate.
I want to bring joy to those around me.
I want this year to be full of discovery.
Finding what lights a fire in me.
And if I can make a few people smile along the way, then all the better.
Much love, bacon, and sprinkles,
Photo by Arbine Villanueva-Hoapili
We are reunited (and it feels so good). I missed ya. No, seriously, I did.
My random thoughts had nowhere to go, except towards my husband. I’m sure he appreciates me getting back to blogging. That way I can spill anything and everything that crosses my mind to you instead of him.
Like, Is there such a thing as too many sprinkles? And, Are there skinny jeans that won’t make my legs look like sausages? These gems, I’m sure, are better suited for my invisible internet friends than my husband.
I didn’t post much on social media. Just a few pictures here and there but not nearly as frequently as I normally do. Which was actually quite refreshing. I didn’t scroll through any of my feeds (except Pinterest) for THREE WHOLE WEEKS. I know.
I had a fabulous time on the Big Island with my family. I’ve got some posts coming up on a couple of things we did there. One of them includes me drinking beer. Say whaaaaat?
So, my lovelies, what have you been up to?
Photo by Marcus Hoapili
You know what I love about the internet? I mean, besides all the food porn and cat videos. I love that no matter what your interests are, no matter what you geek out over, you are bound to find other people just like you. You are bound to find your tribe.
To help foster this sense of community on the internet, especially the blogging one, Megan of The Nerdy Girlie and Kristin of Super Space Chick have created 5 Fandom Fridays, prompts to help you avoid the dreaded writer’s block. This week’s prompt is something I have spent infinite amount of hours on Pinterest looking for: Geeky Clothing.
1. We’re All Made of Star Stuff tank – Because Science
2. Down the Rabbit Hole necklace – Curiouser and curiouser.
3. Princess Bubblegum headband – Finn, what the cabbage?
4. Red Chuck Taylors – Allons-y!
5. Marauder’s Map skirt – I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.
Friends, I have a problem.
Not like a life threatening one or one that really matters in the grand scheme of things but it’s one that does make me question what I’m doing in the blogosphere.
I’m having a problem with focus. I feel like no matter how hard I try to define who I am as a blogger and the things I blog about, it all ends up becoming sort of muddled. No clear focus.
Yes, I understand it’s perfectly fine to have different interests as long as there’s some sort of central theme tying everything together. But I’m not sure I even have that. And the saying,’Write what you know’? I have no idea what that would be. A whole mish mash of things.
I guess if there is ONE thing I know, it’s desserts.
Like these gelato sandwiches.
The dark chocolate brownie cookies paired with the intense pistachio gelato will bring a smile to the face of anyone with a sweet tooth.
But you don’t have to take my word for it. *
Photos by Arbine Villanueva-Hoapili
*Butterfly in the sky… I can go twice as high…
Brownie Cookies + Pistachio Gelato Sandwiches
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 whole egg plus 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- ¾ - 1 cup pistachio gelato
- To a large bowl add granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, butter, and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine. DO NOT OVERMIX. If desired, fold in mini chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Scoop teaspoon sized portions of dough onto parchment lined baking sheets, about 1 ½ inches apart.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes. Cool on pan for one minute. Remove cookies from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of gelato onto the flat side of one cookie. Top with another cookie and lightly press together. Repeat with remaining cookies and gelato.
- Place sandwiches on a parchment lined plate or baking sheet in the freezer for about 1-2 hours or until firm.