You know how some people are emotional eaters? Well, I think I’m an emotional baker.
When something’s really got me down all I want to do (besides binge watching Gilmore Girls or Friends on Netflix) is bake. Chocolate chip cookies. Pound cake. Or brownies.
These Blueberry Swirl Brownies, with that dark chocolate and sweet yet tart cream cheese topping, would be the perfect thing to help turn my frown upside down.
And for good measure, I always try to eat brownies with a scoop of ice cream.
Photos by Arbine Villanueva-Hoapili
- Brownie Batter
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks), melted
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Topping
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup blueberry sauce or jam
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 13×9 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine sugars, salt, cocoa powder, and flour with a whisk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla, and butter. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and gently mix. Be sure to not over mix.
- In a medium bowl add whisk together cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and blueberry sauce.
- Pour brownie batter into the pan. Dollop blueberry cream cheese topping over the batter. Swirl batter using a toothpick or butter knife.
- Bake for 32-37 minutes.