If you like coconut, raise your hand.
Now, if you loooove coconut, how about a show of jazz hands.
That’s right. Wave them like you’re a backup Broadway dancer.
I adore coconut in just about any form. Fresh, Mounds bar, panang curry, haupia, and, of course, ice cream. Coconut ice cream is something I’ve always wanted to try making, so I decided to give it a whirl. I used Jeni Britton Bauer’s method of making vanilla ice cream and tweaked it just a bit.
1. I substituted the whole milk for 1 can of coconut milk plus enough 2 % milk to equal 2 cups.
2. The sugar was reduced to half a cup.
3. Vanilla bean was omitted.
4. I let the mixture mature overnight in the fridge.
5. Toasted coconut and mini chocolate chips were added during the last few minutes of churning.
I don’t really like to toot my own horn, but it turned out a lot better than I expected. Super creamy with just the right amount of texture from the mix-ins.
Definitely jazz hands worthy.
Photo by Arbine Villanieva-Hoapili