Last night my husband made a dish that completely brought me back to my childhood. These tuna muffins reminded me of the tuna and egg scramble my dad used to make all the time when I was younger. Sometimes we had them with onions and tomato mixed in it as well. I know it may not seem all that appealing to a lot of you, but for me it was pure nostalgia.
What foods remind you of your childhood?
- Lemon + Cardamom Cupcakes
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons distilled white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- Zest of 1 lemon, divided
- Chocolate Ganache
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, cream butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until combined. Fold in sour cream and half the lemon zest.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake tins and fill about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl.
- Heat heavy cream in a saucepan over medium high.
- When cream just comes to a bubble, pour over chocolate chips. Let sit for 4-5 minutes.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Dip the top of the cupcakes into ganache.
- Sprinkle with remaining lemon zest.