Sometimes I think I’m pretty good at the whole parenting thing. I sing Five Little Monkeys twenty zillion times a day. I play picnic on our living room floor. I read Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See before nap time for 37 days straight.
And then there are times when I feel like I’ve failed as a parent.
Like when I realized too late that my youngest decided to reveal her inner artist all over our couch.
Were there ever times you felt like you failed as a parent?
- (recipe adapted from Rachel Ray)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cup honey
- ¾ cups Honey Nut Cheerios
- ¾ cups rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar with the honey and butter.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Add the Honey Nut Cheerios, rice cereal, rolled oats, and macadamia nuts to the saucepan and fold the ingredients to evenly coat with the sauce.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8x8-inch ungreased baking pan and press firmly to evenly fill. Gently press the chocolate chips onto the top of the granola.
- Let the granola mixture set in the refrigerator until firm, about 15 minutes, then cut into bars.