I don’t really like to write rant posts. They just aren’t my style. But today I’m going against that. Feel free to skip to the recipe if you’re not into reading rants.
Last week my hubby and I decided to make a photo book on Shutterfly. Since it was my first time ordering from Shutterfly they included several additional offers for us to choose from. The offer that seemed the most appealing was a FREE one-month subscription to Netflix and a $50 gift certificate for Restaurant.com after we signed up for the Netflix subscription.
So I signed up for Netflix and started adding things to my queue. The next morning I tried to redeem my Restaurant.com certificate. There were no participating restaurants in our area. Frak. Okay, I told myself, I’ll just input the zip code for downtown Honolulu since it searches for restaurants in a 15 mile radius. No participating restaurants in that area either. Double Frak. I put the zip codes for Ewa Beach, Kapolei, Pearl City, Aiea, Kailua, Kaneohe, and even Haleiwa in the search generator. No dice.
Alright, I said. Maybe I’ll try Hilo, which is where my hubby’s parents live (and also on another island). No luck. How about Kona? His parents have a time share near there that we often stay at. Nada. Waikoloa? There was ONE place listed but it didn’t really look like somewhere I’d really want to try.
Hmmm… what am I going to do now, I wondered. I decided to check out their online partners which could send you items directly to your home. The merchants didn’t seem too bad. But wait. What’s this? They all REQUIRED A MINIMUM PURCHASE OF $75 OR MORE. After being super frustrated with this whole ordeal, I just ended up asking a friend (who lives in San Antonio, Texas) if she wanted me to get her a certificate for one of the restaurants there.
Soooo… if you live on Oahu and see an offer for Restaurant.com, DON’T TAKE IT.
Ok. Rant over.
Ice cream. The perfect post-rant thing to eat.
- 2 eggs (If you are hesitant to use regular raw eggs, feel free to use pasteurized eggs. )
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk, chilled
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Dulce de Leche
- 1 cup Biscoff cookies, roughly chopped
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl for a minute of two, until light and fluffy.
- Slowly whisk in sugar, whisking thoroughly for about a minute.
- In another bowl, whisk together milk, heavy cream, and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- In a small bowl, add 1 cup of cream mixture. Add Dulce de Leche a ¼ cup at a time, whisking thoroughly after each addition. Add this mixture back to the cream mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into bowl of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- 2-3 minutes before ice cream is done churning, add Biscoff cookie pieces.
- Transfer to ice cream container and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.