Lemon Honey Almond Cake2
This past Saturday we met with a college friend for dinner. After dinner (Yay for yummy Korean food!) we went back to our place to watch the UH basketball game and have dessert.
While we were half watching the game, we started reminiscing about our college days. I have to say, I really lucked out when it came to roommates. My sophomore year of college was ah-mazing.
Soooo much fun.
My roommates Janell, Tara, and Corey were awesome.
Janell and I shared a room. I can’t even begin to tell you how many late nights we had talking and laughing hysterically. Plus she never hesitated to go on a Curry House or Bubbies Ice Cream run. She’s the best.
Tara and I were both really into music. We made many a trip to Jelly’s, scouring the bins for used CDs. We also dressed up as Charlie’s Angels for Halloween. Guess which angel I was.
Corey. I swear, that girl is just one big ball of sunshine. Always super positive and friendly. You can’t help but smile when you’re around her. I think Corey’s super positive attitude kind of projected onto us, which made our apartment a really great place to live.
Although it’s been over ten years (!) since then, whenever I think of that time, my heart always does a little happy dance.
Those gals are absolutely fabulous.
And now for some cake.
A simple box of cake mix.
With a couple of special ingredients.
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and honey together until thoroughly combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, water, lemon juice, oil, egg and honey mixture, and almond extract. Whisk for a couple of minutes.
- Pour batter in a 9x13 inch pan lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 32-36 minutes.
- Cool completely and dust with powdered sugar.