A couple of weeks ago my husband was watching The Walking Dead season 2 premier. Why did I start watching it? I don’t really like zombies and yet I was intrigued by the story. Darn it. I didn’t want to get sucked in to that show.
I’ll have to make sure I watch it during the day. I know if I watch it at night I won’t be able to sleep. I’m a big scaredy cat.
You know what’s not as scary as zombies? Cupcakes.
For those who don’t know what Nutella is, it’s a chocolate hazelnut spread.
It’s great when paired with peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, or bacon.
Sometimes I like to eat it straight out of the jar.
Nutella cupcakes. Way less scary than zombies.
- For the cupcakes
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup Nutella
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the frosting
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup Nutella
- 1 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes. Add Nutella and mix until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add egg mixture to butter mixture. Beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Pour into lined cupcake tins and fill about ¾ of the way full. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
- Cream butter and Nutella for 1-2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time while mixing with a hand mixer. Once all sugar is incorporated, beat for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add vanilla and milk. Beat for another minute.