Over the past few years, being a geek or a nerd has become cool. Some might say it’s even downright trendy. It’s too bad this wasn’t the case when I was in junior high and high school. My friends and I would have been the coolest people EVER. Okay so maybe some of my friends weren’t really geeky. But I was in band, student council, and took AP classes. Back then, those things were definitely not the mark of someone cool.
These days, anyone can be considered a geek or nerd, as long as they are truly passionate about something. I’m a blogging, Doctor Who, and, as you can see below, baking geek.
I bought this at Don Quijote.
It’s just slightly thicker than a jam.
I only got 10 cupcakes out of this batter since I filled it 3/4 of the way full.
If you want a cupcake that’s more purple, add some food coloring.
I didn’t mind that they were pink.
The cream cheese frosting and sweetened coconut are totally optional.
Unbelievably delicious, but totally optional.
So, what kind of geek are you?
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup purple yam spread
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes. Add purple yam spread and cream for another minute. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla. Add egg mixture to butter mixture. Beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Pour into lined cupcake tins and fill about ¾ of the way full. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.