Yesterday started out like an ordinary day. I was watching my niece Kailah and we made some cookie dough. Since it had to chill in the fridge for a couple of hours, I decided to prep dinner for the next night. ( I like making meals in advance.) While I was in the middle of doing that, Kailah told me something was wrong with Amara.
I immediately rushed to the living room and saw Amara COVERED in bumps that looked like hives. I completely freaked out. I had no idea how she got them. She hadn’t eaten anything out of the ordinary. I also checked her temperature and she didn’t have a fever.
When I called her pediatrician’s office, they said to just keep an eye on her and to bring her in if it didn’t go away by morning. Luckily, after a nap in the A/C, the bumps had gone away. I absolutely hate it when my kids are sick. I’m such an emotional wreck when they are.
On a happier note, the cookies turned out pretty darn good.
Some saltiness to balance out all the sweet.
What’s your favorite sweet and salty treat?
- (recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup M&Ms
- 1 cup pretzel sticks, broken into small pieces
- Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.
- Fold in M&Ms and pretzel pieces. Refrigerate dough for 2-4 hours (or more).
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Roll dough into balls or scoop with an ice cream scooper and set on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely.