As a kid, I used to love summers. The ice cream man showed up more often, people wouldn’t look at you weird when you ran through the sprinklers, and best of all there was NO SCHOOL. Even though I still love summer, mostly because my birthday is in July, I have come to realize one thing about it. It can get FRIGGIN’ HOT. Like seriously. Global warming, anyone?
Fortunately I have something that will help combat the sweltering summer heat. Something super simple and sweet. What, pray tell, is it? Well, remember those strawberries I bought earlier this week? I used them to turn ordinary lemonade into extraordinary strawberry lemonade. It’s not too tart or cloying. It’s, as Goldilocks would say, just right.
Your simple syrup will start out looking kind of cloudy.
And end up looking like this.
Straining is not exactly necessary but I didn’t want seeds in my lemonade.
Blasphemy, I know, but it’s what I had on hand.
Refreshing, simple and sweet.
What is your favorite summertime drink?
- Simple Syrup
- ¾ cup granulated or super fine sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 10-15 strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1 cup lemon juice (I only had lemon concentrate so I used 2/3 cup)
- ¼ to ½ cup simple syrup
- 6-7 cups Water
- Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
- Cool completely.
- In a blender or food processor, puree strawberries.
- Pour puree through a fine strainer into a 2 quart pitcher.
- Add lemon juice and simple syrup. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Add about 6-7 cups of water or enough to fill the remainder of your pitcher.
- Stir and chill.