Sloppy Joe, Slop, Sloppy Joe
Do you remember this song?
Anyway, we made Sloppy Joes the other night and I thought of this song. The recipe that we used is actually kinda healthy. Tasty and good for you? What’s not to like?
Jalapeno, bell pepper, and garlic.
I decided to use black beans instead of red or pinto beans.
Got these from Wal-Mart.
What? They’re super cheap and taste the same as the name brand stuff.
Adding the veggies.
And the pièce de résistance.
What was your favorite school lunch?
- (recipe from Ellie Krieger)
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 can small red beans or pinto beans, preferably low sodium drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 whole-wheat burger buns
- Brown the meat and the onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, breaking up the meat into crumbles as it cooks.
- Pour the drippings out of the pan and discard.
- Add the garlic, jalapeno, and red pepper and cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes more. P
- lace a half-cup scoop of the mixture onto each bun and serve.